At Empire State Layout, we view development projects as an important component of our country. Therefore, it is our goal to provide superior surveying and mapping services for quality results that clients can be proud of. Our staff is highly qualified in all aspects of land surveying, including topographical surveys, with more than 50 years combined experience. Our acute attention to detail, meticulous illustrations and multi-disciplinary mindset, sets us apart in the industry.
Empire NY Topographical Surveyors provide top-of-the-line sketches complete with clear attributes for use in a number of development projects including building design, driveways, roadways, utility lines and more.What is a Topographical Survey?
A topographical survey, also known as a topo survey, provides a detailed view of ground contours including man made improvements such as buildings, walkways, roads, utility poles and manholes etc. along with the natural features of a property such as trees, streams and lakes. These images are generally displayed in 3 dimensional form on a 2 dimensional map, similar to GPS maps. Topo surveys are usually performed prior to making land improvements or preceding the purchase of a property.
Who Needs a Topographical Survey?
Architects, engineers, foresters and other professions usually require a Topo survey during the planning stages of development to determine the proper layout and design for their project. Geologists may also utilize topographical maps to study the shape and geology of the land's surface to determine geological conditions beneath the surface.
Topographical surveying can be used for a number of development projects including:
Why You Need a Topographical Survey
- Fire control routes
- Geological maps
- Hazard assessments
- And more
It is imperative to know the exact features of a property prior to a development project. For instance, imagine constructing a 300,000 square foot barn, only to discover halfway through the project that a proud 100 year old tree stands in the way. Or perhaps you are in the process of constructing a long, horizontal highway or pipeline only to discover later that the land surface is actually curved in shape.
The NY Topographical Surveyors at Empire State Layout can help eliminate surprises and setbacks by providing you with a detailed survey of land features including the exact shape of the land as well as the height, size, position and distance of slopes, hills, trees and other land features, so you can plan accordingly.Other Benefits of Topographical Surveying
- Can Be Used to Construct Architectural Models
- Depending on the scope of your project, you may require a more elaborate view of the terrain. Using a topography map, one can construct various models of the terrain for a more realized view of the land, including land-form models.
- Identifies Boundaries and Easements
- A topographical survey clearly displays the easements and perimeter lines of a property, which enables building teams to comply with zoning and other agency requirements and eliminate setbacks.
- Provides a Unique View of the Property
- Topographical surveys include an aerial view of the given property, which allows for greater observation of distances, elevations and areas of the land. This map can then be used by the design team to plan the most accurate layout and design for their project.
- Saves Time and Money
- Knowing the exact location and measurements of land features, prior to your project, helps you plan more efficiently so your project develops smoothly, which saves time and money.
- Helps Predict Soil Conditions
- Since topography maps accurately depict land surfaces, they can be also be used to predict soil conditions, such as erosion, by studying the natural characteristics of the land including cracks, cones, faults, craters, plains and slopes etc. This is especially useful for engineering projects, agricultural projects, irrigation projects, mineral exploration and more.
- Includes an Elevation Certificate
- All topographical surveys necessitate an Elevation Certificate. An Elevation Certificate is an official tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which is used to ensure compliance with community floodplain management ordinances. The Elevation Certificate (EC) can also be used to obtain flood insurance and support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA).
Empire State Layout can provide you with an up-to-date topography survey of the given land, including recent improvements, prior to your development project to help eliminate guesswork and surprises later on. Our professional staff can also assist you with securing an Elevation Certificate to fulfill insurance company requirements, so you can rest assure knowing your home or business is covered in the event of a flood.